Every one of us has life experiences, many of which we take for granted, but these experiences help shape us into the people we are. It’s like a very detailed puzzle or collage that, when put all together, forms a picture of you. No two images will ever be exactly alike, and that’s such a wonderful miracle when you think about it.
Here are some of the elements that are included in, or missing from, my picture.
- I just tried lipstick, for the first time ever, at the age of 49. I’ve never tried any other type of makeup, and wouldn’t know where to begin.
- I have never in my life paid for any type of television, and I don’t ever intend to.
- I have traveled to 19 countries, and I hope to once again be able to travel in the future, because it’s my reason for being.
- Through Kiva.org I have so far made 49 micro-loans to help change the lives of women in 39 countries.
- I like to create fractals.
- I love to write.
- I’m much heavier than I would like to be.
- I have a very high IQ.
- I have never lived somewhere that has a dishwasher. I am the dishwasher, and I often go on strike.
- I prefer most animals to most people.
- Of all religious philosophies, Unitarian Universalism fits me best.
- I have been rock climbing, parasailing, and snorkeling, and I’d love to do more of that. I’d love to go skydiving or ride in a hot air balloon, but could never justify the expense.
- I’ve made some massive mistakes.
- I can’t stand to have my belly button touched.
- I’m extremely unlucky by American standards, but extremely lucky by global standards, and I try to be ever mindful of that.
- My dogs love me.
- Growing up, I lived in a tent.
- I tend to laugh at inappropriate moments.
- I have never owned a telephone that can access the internet or take a photograph.
- I speak Spanish.
- I’m half Danish, one quarter Irish, and one quarter French, yet I don’t speak any of the languages of my ancestors.
- I am one of only three people in the United States with my last name.
- One of my eyes is near-sighted, the other is far-sighted.
- If I’m not paying close attention, I tend to stand on the side of one of my feet. The special shoe I wore as a toddler never broke me of this habit.
- I snore.
- I love to sleep.
- More than anything, I want to live in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- I have never wanted children.
- I find nothing as attractive as a healthy curiosity.
- And I’m single!
I’d love to hear about your puzzle pieces.
This is a collage of several of my fractals. It’s called “Fractal Collage–Rainbow Star, and can be purchased in the form of a business card, poster, card or coffee mug here. Just sayin’.