Someone just bought the bike from the film Easy Rider for 1.35 million dollars. Stuff like this makes me want to scream. For a little bit of perspective, I did some research. Here’s what I found out. 1.35 million dollars equals any one of the following:
- 54,000 microloans on Kiva.org, which in turn would allow 54,000 third world families to live healthier lives.
- Enough food to feed 168,750 people for a day, or keep 462 people from starving for an entire year.
- Enough mosquito nets to save 450,000 children in Africa from dying of malaria.
- A full course of vaccines for 270,000 children, as provided by UNICEF
- 6,750,000 pencils for under-supplied schools.
- Enough wool blankets to keep 192,857 homeless people warm this winter.
- 54,000 pairs of shoes for people who have been victims of natural disasters.
- 67,500 LifeStraws, each of which can provide safe, drinkable water for an entire year.
So if you are the one who bought that damned motorcycle, I sure hope you enjoy the ride.