Yup, that actually came out of a coworker’s mouth the other day while we were discussing the Boston bombings. And I must admit I went off. I couldn’t help it. I’m so sick of the ignorance and bigotry. This is what I said to him:
“Every sweet has its sour; every evil its good.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Naturally his response was, “Huh?” To which I replied, “Do you seriously think the Muslims are the only group with a lunatic fringe, a mentally deranged and evil element? Seriously? Okay, then how do you explain the following?”
- Adolph Hitler was a Catholic.
- Pol Pot was a Buddhist.
- Stalin, responsible for the execution of hundreds of thousands of people, went to a Greek Orthodox Seminary.
- Pinochet was a Catholic.
- Vlad the Impaler, torturer of thousands, was Christian.
- Baruch Goldstein, an Orthodox Jew, perpetrated the 1994 Cave of the Patriarchs massacre in the city of Hebron, killing 29 Palestinian Muslim worshipers and wounding another 125.
- Eric Rudolph, the Olympic Park Bomber, was Christian.
- Ted Bundy was a Methodist.
- James Holmes, the shooter in Aurora, Colorado, was Lutheran.
- David Berkowitz, the Son of Sam, called himself a born again Christian.
- Sampson Kanderayi was a Christian who killed more than 30 people to appease evil spirits.
- Andrew Kehoe, a Roman Catholic, blew up 45 people, 38 of them children, in a school in Lansing, Michigan.
- Wade Michael Page, the man who shot six people in a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin last year, was a devout Christian.
- Robert Oppenheimer, who oversaw the Manhattan Project which produced the atomic bombs that were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, instantly killing 150,000 men, women, and children and many many more in the years that followed, was interested in Hinduism.
- Jeffrey Dahmer was baptized into the Church of Christ, the religion of his childhood, after he went to prison.
- The Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski, was an atheist.
- Dylan Klebold, one of the Columbine shooters, was Lutheran.
- Ivan the Terrible was Russian Orthodox.
- Charles Carl Roberts IV, the man who shot all the Amish school girls, was a member of the Faith Church.
- Torquemada, the poster child of the Spanish Inquisition, was, of course, Catholic.
- Timothy McVeigh was a Roman Catholic.
- Adolf Eichmann was raised Lutheran, and was an active member of the Evangelical Church until 1937.
- Mao Tse-tung, who was responsible for 40-70 MILLION deaths, was an atheist.
- Genghis Khan prayed to the Burhan Haldun Mountain, and consulted Buddhist Monks, Muslims, Christian missionaries, and Taoist monks.
- Adam Lanza, the Sandy Hook shooter, was Catholic.
And how do you explain the following?
- The vast majority of the participants in World Wars I and II were not Muslims.
- In Rwanda, where the rivers have run with blood, 56.9% of the population is Roman Catholic, 26% is Protestant, 11.1% is Seventh-day Adventist, 4.6% is Muslim, 1.7% claims no religious affiliation, and 0.1% practices traditional indigenous beliefs such as the Jabiyan ethno-religious belief system.
- Angola, home to one of the most brutal civil wars in history, is a predominately Christian country.
- 33 people died in the Salem Witch Trials, which were conducted by a Puritan government.
- Very few Muslims resided in America during our Revolutionary or Civil wars.
- The vast majority of the owners of slave ships that transported slaves to the Americas were Christians.
- The Aztecs hadn’t even HEARD of Islam, yet still managed to perform their human sacrifices.
- Apartheid in South Africa was perpetuated by the Afrikaner minority. This system was responsible for the death of thousands and the displacement of hundreds of thousands. Afrikaners are predominately Calvinists.
- At least 110,000 Iraqis have died since we Americans declared war on them. Some say it’s more like 1,033,000. 4,486 US soldiers were also killed. Our main justification for that war? 9/11. The number of Iraqis who were involved in the attack on the World Trade Center? 0. Another justification for that war: weapons of mass destruction. The number of weapons of mass destruction found? 0.
- The murder-suicides in Jonestown were conducted by the People’s Temple Cult.
- It was Christians who gave blankets infected with smallpox to the American Indians.
- It was the US Public Health Service that intentionally misled 399 black sharecroppers into thinking they were being treated for their syphilis when in fact they were not. (They wanted to see how the disease would progress. Nice, huh?)
- The Crusades were started by Pope Urban II.
- When the Chinese tried to stop opium from being brought to their shores by the British, the British started the Opium Wars.
- Germans slaughtered 10,000 Nama in South West Africa.
- 11 Australian men, 10 of European descent and one of African descent, slaughtered 30 unarmed Aboriginals, mostly women, children, and old men, like they were dogs. It was called the Myall Creek massacre.
Do you still think the followers of Islam have cornered the market on murder and violence? Give me a break. We’re equally bad. And equally good, but that’s a subject for another blog entry.
So the next time you’re tempted to spew your Islamophobia, at least now you’ll have some facts, which means you’ll have to admit, at least to yourself, that what you’re trying to convince yourself of is actually nothing but hatred and ignorance. No culture is composed entirely of saints or completely of sinners. Stay stupid if you want to, but at least have the backbone to own it.
“Every sweet has its sour; every evil its good.”